View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Lite Fantasy RPG - Chevalier - Tales of Charlemagne 

Lite Fantasy RPG - Chevalier - Tales of Charlemagne
This is mostly a fun project for me. I wanted to discuss if folks thought there is a place for such a game in the market and more to the point, in the hobby. Some points I have worked up:

- Play only humans
- Based on a mix of historical Charlemagne and Tales of Charlemagne
- Magic will be free form
- Christianity will be portrayed both as good and evil, Saracens as both good and evil
- Rules for the system (Iridium Lite) will be about 6-10 pages
- "Classes" will be Knight, Sorcerer, Priest, Scout, ????
- Custom rules additions for creating magic items, steeds, monsters
- I am hoping for a 12.99 price point, digest size

That is what I am thinking of. I had a guy call me the other day and got me gabbing about Chevalier and Roma and it got me interested in this.

So, viable? Thoughts on what you would like to see in such a game?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Lite Fantasy RPG - Chevalier - Tales of Charlemagne
I definitely think there's a place for this game. I also think that this game has already been done, hitting most of the points you've described: Greg Stafford's Prince Valiant: the Story Telling Game. The game has been long out of print, though, and Greg himself has said that he'd like to see it released again (though the licensing rights to PV have since been lost).

Beware: the game was not a commercial success, perhaps due in great part to never quite finding its marketing niche in the late-'80s to early-'90s.

!i!

Last edited by Ian Absentia on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:28 am
Profile E-mail

I'm all about digest or "pocket"-sized games.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:30 am
Profile E-mail WWW

How much setting do you think it needs? The Tales of Charlemagne are not as well known as say, King Arthur or probably even Prince Valiant. The point that strikes me is that is reads so very OD&D. I was reading through it some time ago and thinking, wow, this stuff is a prepackaged game ready to go.

Ian: Another issue, I wonder, might have been licensing? Licensed games often draw a lot of the capital out of what could be a well promoted game.

What aspects do you believe are necessary for a Lite game?

Thanks guys!

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thengel wrote:
Ian: Another issue, I wonder, might have been licensing? Licensed games often draw a lot of the capital out of what could be a well promoted game.
Quite possibly. I have no idea what the fee or royalty arrangements were, but I have to imagine that they took some bite from the proceeds.

Another matter that has occurred to me is that, while I've always enjoyed Prince Valiant in the Sunday funnies, I always associated the game with my father's generation (in fact, the only serial comic my father ever praised was Prince Valiant). This kind of makes me think that this is a game that should have been sent through a wormhole and marketed back in the '40s. The comic endures to this day, but its history and style tie it in the public imagination to an earlier era.
Quote:
What aspects do you believe are necessary for a Lite game?
Simple rules. (D'uh!) Really, though, the game should be able to be boiled down to a one-page reference summary.
Simple supplies. Much as I love FUDGE dice, they're an obstacle to immediate play, and the same might even be said of standard RPG polyhedrals.
Consistent, unified resolution mechanics. Keep sub-systems and special cases to an absolute minimum (if not absent entirely).
Simplified background that is easily complete enough to play extensively as written, but detailed enough to inspire tinkerers to expand on their own.

Hmm. More as they occur to me.

!i!

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail

As to setting, passages like this inspire me....

Quote:
A plan of treachery and violence agreed but too well with
Charlot's disposition. He not only adopted the suggestion of
Amaury, but insisted upon taking a part in it. They went out
secretly, by night, followed by a great number of attendants, all
armed in black, to lie in ambuscade in the wood where the brothers
were to pass.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Quick comment: Saracens were less of an issue by Carlus Magnus' time (though he tried to mettle with them in Spain) than the Vikings... Though Saracens were a pain in the butt for Mediterranean seamen I guess.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:44 pm

I agree on system presentation. It should be a couple of pages at maximum for the system part, if you're looking for rules light. A product like that is going to rely on lots of exposition for the uninitiated and perhaps an intro adventure or two.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

O.k. Here is Iridium Lite as written up for Supers Inc. So, yeah, there are fire arms and stuff that would be swapped out for Chevalier.
http://www.hinterwelt.com/chevalier/Iridium%20Lite.pdf
Oh, I should mention that those are digest size pages.

Alternatively, would something like the Ticket tot he Moon system work better? Remember, the names of the stats can be changed out easily. So, maybe something like Prowess, Bravery, Intelligence, Agility and Fame.

Letter size pages here.
http://www.hinterwelt.com/elo/ticket.pdf

Something else entirely?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Main points summed up for Iridium Lite

Basic Points
Skills are resolved by rolling under Skill + Aptitude + Applicable Statistic. This reflects natural talent and trained skill.
Combat represents an effort to hit a target, utilizing the attacker’s skill to overcome the target’s Defence.
Armor makes a character easier to hit but protects from damage.
Armor sloughs off or becomes less effective as damaged.
Karma is a player mechanic rather than an in game character mechanic. It represents the character’s luck.
Fatigue represents the character’s spiritual and physical endurance for using powers or spells.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:35 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next