View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Pathfinder RPG: Already Sold Out 

Post Pathfinder RPG: Already Sold Out
It's not even out yet but Paizo has announced that it's already sold out.

Mona goes on to say he'll have lots at GenCon but expects to go through them as well. They label the print run as ambitious and the sales far exceeding their expectations. No hard numbers, though... as is the norm in the hobby. Some folks seem to speculate that a second print run may take several months. So if some people here are hardcore-interested, grab it soon.

I expected the game to be successful commercially but not that much. Good for them, I guess.

My mod voice is red

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:52 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Pathfinder RPG: Already Sold Out
I knew there was a strong interest, but I had no idea it was that strong.

I'll be very interested to see how Pathfinder continues to perform, in terms of sales, in the longer run.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail

More information from Erik on Grognardia:

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words even (or perhaps especially) from those of you who have no stake in the product because you've got a different game of choice. From where I sit, ANY success in the RPG industry is worth cheering about.

And while we have not released sales figures, I can say that we don't consider 10,000 units "hugely ambitious," and we'll be bringing well more than 1000 copies to Gen Con. Still, I'm worried about selling out, because the game appears to be moving much faster than any of us anticipated.

And while we have not formally thrown our hats into the "old school" or rules-light field, our hearts are very sympathetic to the cause, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see something down the road.

First things first, of course.

--Erik Mona

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Most awesome.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Also, nice find there Benoist. You scooped rpg.net with that actual factoid from Erik Mona.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Nice work!

Sounds like PF is going to have quite the release at Gen Con.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
Also, nice find there Benoist. You scooped rpg.net with that actual factoid from Erik Mona.

Thanks. :D

There are two interesting tidbits in there. The part that says that 10,000 copies printed is "not hugely ambitious" by Erik Mona's standards, which means we're more looking at around a 20,000 print run, I would guess (which is HUGE for the scale of the "industry" by all counts). More would be really, really huge.

And the bit of sympathy for the old school, rules light approach which Paizo thinks about supporting. One must say here that Matt Finch, the man behind Swords & Wizardry, has been talking for a few weeks now about a deal in the works with a mysterious publisher to bring S&W to brick-and-mortar stores. This right here is a clue that Paizo may be the publisher in question.

Remember! You first read that theory here! :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 pm

I like the way your mind works, Benoist and I wouldn't put any money down against your theory, but I think the timing is off. I can't see Paizo making the effort to engage in these kinds of negotiations while in the heat of getting Pathfinder ready to launch. It's also a slightly competitive product. I could see them expanding into some OSR distribution a year down the road, when Pathfinder is better established.

Still, it could be happening. It would be cool. I'm all for any move that widdles away at WotC's dominance. Pathfinder may be one of the bigger knives.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Is Pathfinder seriously still not out? I wasn't paying close attention, but I thought it had come out a few months ago. How long does it take to write up a semi-fixed version of 3.5 (esp. considering how much of the new content from the beta is derivative of already existing third-party d20 content)?

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail

Pseudoephedrine wrote:
Is Pathfinder seriously still not out? I wasn't paying close attention, but I thought it had come out a few months ago. How long does it take to write up a semi-fixed version of 3.5 (esp. considering how much of the new content from the beta is derivative of already existing third-party d20 content)?

Well, it's been in Beta for a good while now--I picked up my Beta rulebook after last Gen Con. It seems like the previews have been picking up steam since late spring. By all accounts, and from the video previews, it's a gorgeous, massive (576pp) tome.

8 days or so, and I should have a copy of the final product.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next