View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Chronica Feudalis... 

Post Chronica Feudalis...
Wow, this game looks very interesting.

-A self-contained, 128- page medieval RPG, strictly historical
-Presented as a 12th century game written by a monk (I get a Baron Munchausen vibe here)
-Seems to use a simple system. Looks like step-die, but it also makes use of FATE Aspects
-Conflict resolution, in four arenas: combat, parley, subterfuge and chase
-Chargen seems easy. A nice touch is that you choose three mentors from a list, which gives you some particular skills.
-Seems to be well written and well supported by the author.

The author also seemed to allude that the game (or part of it) was OGL on a RPG.net thread but I can't see any mention of that so far onbthe website. If this thing is completely open, it makes it a must-buy for me. Until I find out what the author means, I am assuming only the FATE parts of the game are OGL.

Anyone read or played it? Can it be enjoyed by a group with absolutely no history buffs in it?

My mod voice is red

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:59 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Chronica Feudalis...
Damn I'm drooling on my keyboard now. I think my wallet is going to be ten bucks lighter in a moment.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:27 am

boulet wrote:
Damn I'm drooling on my keyboard now. I think my wallet is going to be ten bucks lighter in a moment.

I called a friend about it yesterday and he described his reaction as having a boner. I guess drooling makes you more sophisticated :twisted:

If you decide to take the plunge, please let me know your impressions. Also, still curious about the OGL claims.

My mod voice is red

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:51 am
Profile E-mail

At the end of the pdf there's the OGL ver 1.0a and mentions of Fudge FATE and Spirit of the Century copyrights. Does this answer your question ?

Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:46 am

boulet wrote:
At the end of the pdf there's the OGL ver 1.0a and mentions of Fudge FATE and Spirit of the Century copyrights. Does this answer your question ?

I'm not sure. :D

I think publishers can designate only certain parts of the work as OGL.

I contacted the author earlier today, asking about OGL and for conflict examples. Maybe he'll pop up here or answer on his blog.

My mod voice is red

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 am
Profile E-mail

Hello!

The entire rules set is open content. What isn't open is the title, the examples, the narrator's anecdotes and flavor text, including the foreword and the "Explore" chapter in their entirety.

Here's an example combat, straight from the conflict chapter of the book:

Quote:
The knight, sword drawn, succeeds in his Swim roll and is now standing face-to-face with Sir Robert. Because it took an action for the knight to move, William pays me an Ardor point for a simultaneous action to attack. William rolls the knight’s d8 Strike, and a d8 for the sword. The roll comes up 8 and 5.

With a particularly nasty attack aimed at him, Sir Robert attempts to deflect with a shield. This is my one reaction and will not cost an Ardor point. I roll my d4 Parry and my d12 kite shield. I get a 5 and a 1. Not nearly enough to stop the knight’s sword.

The attack connects, so I make a Fitness roll. Robert’s Fitness rank is d8 and I add another d8 for his mail hauberk. He will need all the help he can get, so I invoke his helm for another d6. I roll the pool. I get a 5, a 3 and a 3. The sword hacks through Sir Robert’s armor and into his flesh.

The knight’s results of 8 and 5 score a double success against my defense’s primary result of 5. Normally, Sir Robert would lose 2 points of Vigor in this situation, but I choose to take a d8 injury so that his Vigor is only reduced by 1 point. William describes the injury as A gashed left shoulder.

Happy to see people are taking an interest in Chronica Feudalis. The print version will be coming out at GenCon and should be available at the IPR booth (number 2139).

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 am
Profile E-mail

Welcome, Mr. Keller!

These days, work is killing my exploration of new systems, but this may just make the cut...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:34 am
Profile E-mail

Jeremy Keller wrote:
The entire rules set is open content. What isn't open is the title, the examples, the narrator's anecdotes and flavor text, including the foreword and the "Explore" chapter in their entirety.

Awesome! Kudos on that.

I really like the combat example. Seems like a nice and easy game. I'm definitely picking this up. I think my LGS can get games from IPR.

What happens in a conflict if extra characters support your side? A 3-on-1 for instance? Would everyone throw dice and compare, all of them being at risk of losing vigor and so on?

My mod voice is red

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 am
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Welcome, Mr. Keller!

Thanks! And please, call me Jeremy.

Consonant Dude wrote:
What happens in a conflict if extra characters support your side? A 3-on-1 for instance? Would everyone throw dice and compare, all of them being at risk of losing vigor and so on?

In combat, yeah everyone rolls their dice and everyone risks their Vigor. If you get ganged up on, you're probably going to go down pretty quickly. That's how it worked out in the schoolyard when I was in elementary school anyway.

In parley, you're encouraged to pick representatives for each side of the conflict. While numbers matter in social situations, it's not proportional to how they matter in physical fighting. If I walk in to the king's court with a hundred disgruntled peasants, they don't each get to make a parley attack against the king. One representative has to present their case. You may have multiple representatives for a particular side if you can present two separate lines of attack — if you play good cop/bad cop against your opponent for example.

In subterfuge, you may have everyone roll or you might just cull the conflict down to see if your least sneaky thief can escape the detection of the most observant guard. It depends on the stakes and whether or not you're going to keep sneaking if one of your friends gets caught.

In a chase, everyone gets to roll! In this case, you roll against the terrain instead of your opponents — so a character can escape 50 pursuers as easily as she could escape one.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 am
Profile E-mail

Welcome Jeremy!

I just purchased the pdf of Chronica Feudalis. I haven't had time to even do a superficial read but I'll get there very soon. To me your game had several attractive features :
- historical setting of medieval Europe, that triggered my love story with Avant Charlemagne (OOP French game), though they are separated by +/-400 years
- introduction to aspect mechanisms
- introduction to step die mechanisms
- lovely introduction (the player monks)
- nice price

I expect to enjoy my read :)

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next