View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
This Forum Sucks! 

Post Re: This Forum Sucks!
Jim Skach wrote:
Aos wrote:
Remember this disturbing fact the internet runs on butthurt and boobs.

You supply the butthurt, I'll supply the boobs....

...wait...that's not right....

butthurtandboobs.com is available.

Wed May 11, 2011 3:13 am
Profile E-mail

Midnight's Lair is basically dead.

Roludo, which I believe is the other Canadian forum you are referring to is very local to Montreal and Quebec, with a few excellent outsiders (Thalaba for one) who participate. The francophone side is much more lively, because for a lot of french gamers, they've never had a forum for gaming in their mother tongue. But the english side is struggling to get momentum like here.

Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 am
Profile E-mail WWW

CRKrueger wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:
Aos wrote:
Remember this disturbing fact the internet runs on butthurt and boobs.

You supply the butthurt, I'll supply the boobs....

...wait...that's not right....

butthurtandboobs.com is available.

No that it would work here but, that would be an awesome forum name.

Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 am
Profile E-mail

Collapsing the Workshop into the main forum would be a good thing.

Gameplay etc. as well. It's not being used enough to justify its own forum, and those would be much needed bumps for the main forum.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:27 am
Profile E-mail

Thengel wrote:
As to thalaba's point, I would ask if there is room in your view for other topics? Do you see having a broad range of topics as a bad thing?

Broad range of topics is definitely good, and yes, there's room for it.

I used to live in a small city (Guelph, Ontario - home of the Guardians of Order, incidentally). There is a very lively independant bookstore there - it's thriving when many others in this country are closing down. Why? A good selection of books to start with, an associated cafe, a restaurant/bar, and a repertory cinema all in the same building. The four aspects of the business feed off one another.

If the RPG haven attracted fans of Diaspora to the the Diaspora forum, On Her Majesty's Arcane Service to that forum, Rome Imerious fans to that forum - well, they'd all come for their particular game, but they'd linger because the non-game specific cross talk was so great.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:29 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: random thoughts and questions, I don't care if you care.
ewilen wrote:
Thalaba: Which are those places?

Roludo, in Montreal, was the main one I was referring to. It's based in Montreal, but most of the discussion isn't very specific to that city. It's devided into French and English boards - I'm blessed to be able to participate in both, but there are unilingual members in both languages. The french forums are gaining momentum faster than the english.

What I like about it is that the focus of discussion is on the playing and running of games. There's very little industry talk (which I don't care much about). So even thought the english forums there are not really any busier than here, there's a higher concentration of what I want to talk about. Another think I like about it is that the clientele is different. Most of the regulars are people I only see there. Most of the Haven regulars also post on RPG.net or the Site. Roludo gives me a different perspective.

Other sites I've tried include PenandPaperGames.com. They offer a generic forum, but there's too much fluff ("What's your favourite Class?" Duh!) and most of the talk is about D&D, which I'm also not into. In other words, it's not generic enough and not, mmm, challenging enough for my taste.

BRP Central is great for strictly BRP games, and very friendly, despite having pretty much no modding (even less than here).

Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 am
Profile E-mail

walkerp wrote:
Midnight's Lair is basically dead.

Roludo, which I believe is the other Canadian forum
Yup that's the one. How/why did ML die? Out of curiosity and as it might be relevant.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:48 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: random thoughts and questions, I don't care if you care.
Thalaba wrote:
ewilen wrote:
Other sites I've tried include PenandPaperGames.com. They offer a generic forum, but there's too much fluff ("What's your favourite Class?" Duh!) and most of the talk is about D&D, which I'm also not into. In other words, it's not generic enough and not, mmm, challenging enough for my taste.

I felt the same when I was hanging there. The gamer/games finding feature is awesome though!

Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 pm

That is a saga to itself, but I can try and summarize it. Midnight himself, who is a super good guy, suffers from the need for instant feedback equal to or greater than his own output. This creates a negative feedback loop. When their podcast wasn't exploding, he became less and less motivated. Without the podcast, fewer and fewer outside people came to the Lair. The core participants fell into division over a few issues (not really having much to do with gaming) that created a lot of bad blood. Throughout this period, Midnight really wanted to absolve himself of the responsibility of running the Lair, but nobody took him up on it. Roludo was created and many of the original Lair members saw this as a betrayal. Right around the time this was going on, the Lair got hit with an ugly virus and it shut down for months, which was effectively the death blow. Midnight got it back up and running just a couple of weeks ago but it has been very, very quiet, basically the original friends who Midnight started it around initially.

Really, though, Midnight's Lair failure is much more a function of specific cultural conflicts here in the gaming community in Montreal than a problem with gaming fora in general. Gamers are very non-participatory and separated from one another here and there are all kinds of retarded politics and in-fighting that is made only worse by the language issue. It's a very trying environment to build a community in.

Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Hey guys. As walker says, I haven't been around anywhere much recently. No conscious decision, but between being busier than ever before (with stuff I've never been busy with before), having limited electrical power, and the fact that I'm a current affairs junkie, something had to give. Apologies to you all, especially the guys in my game. I was enjoying that game a lot, if you want to know (though I'll admit it was a bit of a sweat). If you're up for it, maybe we can even pick it up again.

Anyway, thinking about the history of the RPGSite, it seems to me that it got a boost in the beginning from being a site with an existing user base. I myself was reading and posting on Nutkinland when Pooka handed it over. So that's something the Haven's never had.

Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next